|AUSTISM CENTER - SCHOOL OF HOPE|
Near Chinmaya Vidyalaya
Vasant Vihar, New Delhi.
Principal - Usha Varma
Email - email@example.com
Tamana was the first institution to recognize autism as a disability distinct from others and to start programs for autistic spectrum disorder in 1985. The Autism Center-School of Hope is India’s first rehabilitate and research center for autistic individual providing holistic services under one roof – a special school, sensory integration clinic, early intervention center, diagnostic center, research cell and an outreach cell.
His Excellency Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam the president of India inaugurated School of Hope, a full-fledged school dedicated to autistic, on 19 August 2003. State of the art intervention is offered at the School Of Hope for children from ages 2 years onwards with severe needs including autistic spectrum disorders and multiple disabilities. This initiative provides productive education and therapy to hundreds who do not fit existing special education programmes. The highlights of the program offered in this school are :-
Sensory Integration Unit
- A life centred approach to curriculum planning to meet the needs of child and family
- An eclectic combination of different approaches to develop a holistic approach to meet individual needs. Some of the approaches on which intervention for the autistic is based are TEACCH, ABA (with small group of students), and the therapeutic use of drama, music, dance, horse riding, and yoga. The behavior management strategies are designed according to individual needs. Positive reinforcement techniques are commonly used for teaching.
- Sensory Integration therapy is an important part of intervention programme.
- For the high functioning integrated group academics is a vital curriculum area Montessori Method and material is used in classrooms with adaptations according to the individual child.
- Computer with latest software is regularly used for overall development of the students.
- Music and dance therapy
- Yoga and Sports
- Activities of daily living and managing his/ her environment are taught in real life siuations-kitchen, bathroom and dressing room. The students learn to make beds, arrange cloths in cupboards, personal grooming, washing clothes, cooking.
- Vocational Training for youth above 16 yrs of age-Vocational skills taught are jewelry design, greeting cards making, gardening,
This is a part of Occupational Therapy clinic and caters to stimulation of individual’s sensory needs. It provides multi sensory therapy for tactile, visual, auditory, propriceptive and vestibular sensations. The OT department further provides opportunity for enhancing motor skills after sensory integration session.
Autism Research Centre
Tamana has a technical collaboration for research with the Autism Centre, University of Washington, U.S.A. Current research being conducted at Tamana are in the areas of sensory integration, alternative medicine and applied behaviour analysis .
- Research Coordinator-Dr G. Krishnaveni
- Research Team- Ms. Usha Varma, Ms. Rashmi Wahi, Mr. Blessin Varkey, Mr. Sagar Chandola
Current researches -
The Diagnostic Center: Click here to view details.
- Effect of Homeopathic Therapeutic regimen for the treatment of ASD- a preliminary study.
- A study of the neonatal head circumference and head circumference between birth to 4 years of age of Indian Children diagnosed with autism
- Study of demographic profile, etiology and socio cultural back ground of children with autism in India
Functions thrice a week with a multi- disciplinary team of experts comprising of psychologist/ counselor, special educator, speech therapist, occupational therapist and physiotherapist.
Early Intervention Center: Click here to view details.